April 16, 2008

Drive-by

I knew the Pope was coming to town, but I was surprised at how early the crowd formed to see him. This is a view at 8 a.m., across the street from my office, which is at 1700 Pennsylvania Ave. The crowds grew until noon. Everyone was extremely enthusiastic and loud; I could hear them up on the 11th floor. There were brass bands, mariachi bands, strolling priests with guitars, people singing and chanting and some loud demonstrators claiming that the Catholic church is evil. The line at the Starbucks bathroom was 50 deep.

We have conference rooms on the second floor overlooking the street. At noon, the Popemobile departed the White House and drove past our window. I was surprised at how small the Popemobile is and how fast the motorcade traveled--maybe 25 or 30 mph, not the stately parade pace I had imagined. Maybe they were rushing him off to have cupcakes and ice cream? Happy Birthday, Pope Benedict!

9 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Wow! You had a great view!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you were in relation to that...I didn't think you would be on TOP of it though!!! That's pretty awesome! No waiting 4 hours for a 10 seconf viewing!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

WOW!!! Being Catholic myself, it would be a HUGE thrill to have been that close to the Pontif riding by in his mobile :)

Anonymous said...

Great view! :) I was lucky enough to see the Pope when he visited Germany in 2006 - quite an experience.

Anonymous said...

Great view and wonderful experience to see the pope.

RG said...

What a view .. thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of the old joke the Pope came to NYork and was in the limo and he told the driver he had always wanted to drive one of those big cars so the driver got in back and let the Pope drive and everybody said Hey, who is that guy such a big shot he has the Pope drive him!!!

Deb Cushman said...

Wow, your office is right in the middle of the action. How cool!

Margaret said...

You sure had a great view of the Popmobile. Even as a non-Catholic I would have been thrilled to be that close to the Pontif.

Love your Lemon Tree Sampler - the colors are so pretty.

Your little bunnies are so adorable.

Miz S said...

Awesome picture! Man, I wish I could have taken a day off and gone downtown to see him.