May 25, 2008

Silver Queen and the Saintly Gardener

We're a couple weeks late putting in the garden because it has rained so much lately. Things have finally dried out and the sun has come out, so here's the boyfriend, the saintly gardener, working the soil for me. I was in charge of buying plants: lots of tomatoes, since they do well here and we love them; a little squash, some onions and some silver queeen corn in this patch. The silver queen is an experiment; each year we try something we haven't grown before, just for fun. Last year it was melons. The watermelons were the little ones and they were just ok--we agreed that the store-bought ones were better. And the canteloupe were nothing special--just as good from the store, and they took up a lot of room. And a broken and spoiled canteloupe?--spectacularly smelly--like rotting flesh. The brussels sprouts didn't thrive. We have a separate patch for herbs, particularly herbs the buns like.

The vegetable garden is about 12 feet by 25. I enjoy the weeding, but not the planting. Last year I was bitten on the hand by a brown recluse spider while I was digging around up here; I have a scar where I dug out the infection, being too stubborn to go to the emergency room. The corn (which came as established plants--I thought it just came as big purple corn kernels) is in the upper right--just 16 plants--perhaps not enough to grow well. You have to have a certain amount of corn for it to pollinate properly, I think.

Pink knocked over the bag of Peter's Meadow Mix and helped himself. It's a treat (the staple is Oxbow timothy), and he got shreds of it everywhere because he buried his head in the bag.
"What? I thought it was my lunch bag!"

And here's some more progress on Bless Our Home, which should be ready to mail to Wendy by the 27th or 28th.

10 comments:

staci said...

I don't mind planting, but I HATE weeding! Cute LHN progress :)

RG said...

Oh boy .. everybody is getting the gardening going! We finally have some good weather and stuff growing too.

Good looking raised bed setup! Plenty of room to "add on"!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Oh that Pink! Silly boy he is! Now I would much rather plant and tend rather than pulling weeds!

Anonymous said...

great garden planning... sounds like fun
and pink is just one smart bun... reminds me of a pic of my holland lop crawling into the hay bag ... bunnies are so entertaining

Wendy said...

I always love to start gardens, but then don't know what to do with them. I think its something I should save myself up for my retirement. Meanwhile give me a threaded needle any day :-D

Be sure to show us pics of the garden as it grows!

mainely stitching said...

Oh that Pink! LOL!

Spiders. Ugh!! Spiders that are poisonous? YIKES!!

Deb Cushman said...

I like watching others garden best! Love beautiful gardens though. Wish there was some way to have a aall the benefits of a garden without the work!

You go, Pink! Way to get what you want =:-)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Pink, you are a scamp and Tyler and Sydney totally respect that as a way of life. Myself, I think the garden is gorgeous with your raised beds and all. Thanks for hopping over to our blog!

Deb said...

Dear Glenna, Please, please can you give me more information on your Woods Hole sampler? My son-in-law was stationed there and I would love to stitch this piece for him. He's Jessica's husband...in the Coast Guard,and was one of the men who brought up the JFK,Jr. flight. Can you let me know? Hugs, Deb
PS: I just loved catching up with you!!

Deb said...

Oops...upon rereading...I think it may just be Workbasket's "Bay Sampler."
Right? Thanks, deb