March 14, 2010

Spring Cleaning/March Madness


Now that it's so much warmer and the trees are budding, I've started cleaning and airing the house, which extended to cleaning (but not airing--so sad that you can't open the windows in a tall city-building) my office. I dug through my closet and in desk drawers that I seldom open and came up with a dozen or so needlework charts and magazines, mostly ordered from ebay. Here's one of them, a little chart called "Lambs Garden," by Earth Threads. It's charted for 32 count using GAST, but I'm stitching it on 40 count Lakeside (Light Examplar, I think), substituting a few colors I didn't have, since I arrived home Friday night and immediately kitted it up from my stash. It's springy and pretty cute! It seems to be OOP since it's a 1996 chart, but I noticed a copy of it selling on ebay today.

When I get on a tangent, off I go! I got "researching" sheep samplers, looking for more Earth Threads Lambs (they're a series, apparently, and I successfully clicked and bought "Lambs Easter" (not to be confused with Easter Lamb with mint sauce) and "Lambs Halloween." Look what jumped into my cart! "Grazing Sheep" by the Scarlet Letter. Now there's a chart that will take a year or two or three to stitch! But don't you just love it? Come on, Stitchers, you know you've got to stitch this! Here you have it: my little version of Spring Fever or March Madness:


I also worked on Catharine McNeal this week.

And here's a chart I ordered from Emlis a few weeks ago. You've seen Village Square Sampler, which has been re-released by Kelmscott. I also wanted Miriam Chilvers (you can see the photo here at Valley House Primitives. I'd like to say, by the way, that I aspire to own a Valley House Primitives frame for my finished works--they are exquisite). Miriam Chilvers may be released eventually by Kelmscott as well, say my sources. Emli's did have a copy of this chart--the Chili Pepper Sampler--though, so I snapped it up. I suspect this is something of a sleeper--a chart not widely distributed at this moment and which people aren't aware of and on which the photo of the project isn't very clear. But I think it will be very bright and compelling design to stitch--just a hunch.

Speaking of spring cleaning and little lambs, here's my little lamb who appears to need a bit of a shearing.
Elvis: "Not if you value your stitchy fingers!"

Happy week ahead!

26 comments:

Daffycat said...

Beautiful stitching, Glenna!

Oh dear, I remember Elvis's last haircut...

MyLifesAStitch said...

Love Lamb's Garden! Too cute! How funny that you had charts & stash in your office... I have my stuff mailed there as well (to prevent the possibility of it sitting out in the rain, or getting stolen on my front steps), and I have to admit that a few items have been there "some time" before making their way home, lol!

That Chili Peppers chart looks great, and of course your progress is wonderful!

I love all your bunnies, but have to tell you... I think Elvis is just the cutest little guy!

Have a great week!

Catherine said...

Love your stitching! It will be fun to see how that Chili Pepper piece stitches up.

I love that one with the sheep - beautiful - I can only begin to imagine the hours it would take!

Theresa said...

Ooooh~~ I love the little lambs~~~ That is such a cute chart!!!!

Karen said...

Love your new start...great for spring. Love the little bunny too...too cute!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Lambs Garden is adorable! But not as cute as Elvis, of course, who is understandably nervous about his upcoming haircut, given how that's gone in the past.

Alice said...

Oy. Spring cleaning already? I love the colours on Catherine Macneal....forgive spelling errors. the Chili pepper sampler looks very interesting. Elvis is such a fluffy bunny! Too cute.

mainely stitching said...

You pick such cool projects, Glenna! Hugs to dear fuzzy Elvis!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

All of your wips are wonderful, Glenna! I've never seen the chili peppers chart - can't wait to watch your progress on that but the one I really love is the sheepie pattern - you're right - that's a lot of stitching!

Elvis is so darn cute!!!

Marjo said...

Okay, after watching your lovely progress on Catharine I had to buy it. I told you were enabling me!!! I love all your stitching. You do beautiful work. I love the sheep design and I have a friend that would love the chile pepper design. Her kitchen is done in all things chili pepper. Hello to all the bunnies. Thanks for sharing all your finds.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Beautiful Stitching !!! Elvis is so cute !!!

Annemarie said...

Glenna, will you *stop* showing us all these lovely samplers, please! I'm already trying to get my hands on Catharine McNeal (which is surprisingly difficult when you're ordering from The Netherlands and you don't have a credit card).

Your sheepy sampler is delightful!

And I heart Elvis.

Deb said...

Spring cleaning is always a good thing!! I love that Grazing Sheep pattern. Sandra at Samplers Lover's Blog has been stitching it, but I don't think she's posted a picture in a while. That is one sampler that will keep you busy for a while!

Love your progress on Catharine McNeal. I'm still waiting for my chart and fabby (all because of you I might add!!). And it's good hear that some of these charts are going to be rereleased. It's sad when you can't get your hands on them or have to resort to paying high prices on Ebay.

Loraine said...

Love little lambs! What a fun post. Now that huge sampler is simply divine, but it would take me not 1,2 or 3 years to complete but add a zero to 3 and you might guess it about right! simply wonderful!
Thanks for sharing. I'm so ready for spring!!!! (Not the yard work though.) :D

The Scarlett House said...

See? I told you spring couldn't be too far away. Your posts are always so fun and informative. You dig up the best stuff. Seriously, I have looked at SL's Grazing Sheep a dozen times, and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I might have to, but aren't the sheep those bouilion (spelled wrong, I'm sure) stitches? Why aren't they just called french knots? Anyhoo, it's a stunner of a sampler.
I've seen the chili sampler stitched and framed at The Attic. It's pretty unusual.

Melissa said...

Glenna, we can always count on you to show us more fun and little known samplers! I love that Lamb's Garden - it would be a size I could handle. And they're going to re-print Miriam Chilvers? That would be great!

Anyway, loving all the goodies and your progress on Catherine!

Elvis always cracks me up!

Siobhán said...

I love your stitching, Glenna! I love that one sampler with the honeysuckle border. I've been drawn to samplers with that border lately.

I have seen the Chili Pepper sampler stitched up--it is REALLY pretty.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this but will you share an upclose picture of the top of Grazing Sheep? LOL

Terri

The Bunns said...

Leave Elvis alone. PS - March Madness involves the round ball!!!!

samplerlover said...

Hi Glenna,
Thank you for the best wishes with my surgury. It is all over now except for all the physio. God help me.
Grazing Sheep is really a stunning sampler. I am about to start of the verse. The basket on the left is so stunning as all the strawberries are worked over one as is the bottom section. I was in a Rehab Hospital for 2 weeks before coming home and in between the 2 sessions of physio that I had per day I worked just on the strawberries, so you can imagine how much work is in there. Hopefully I will be able to update my blog in a day or two to show an update on Grazing Sheep. I have problems getting out of the computer chair. I might have to figure out how to do it on my laptop.
I'm glad that you have fallen in love with Sarah McPhaill Hatton again. I enjoy watching your progress on this stunning sampler - Sandra.

Kajsa said...

I love those old Earth Thread charts. They are getting harder to find now though.

Anna van Schurman said...

Love Catharine McNeal!

Michelle said...

Lamb's Garden is cute cute cute!!! And I think I'm in love with that Chili Pepper Sampler - you always find the most intriguing things!

Anonymous said...

Glenna,

I love those little sheep too! Could you please tell me from where you ordered the Halloween and Easter lamb charts? I'm not having much luck finding "earth thread designs" anywhere I usually shop. And please post photos when they arrive:)
Thanks,
Joanne
dentonj@shaw.ca

Thumper S. Thompson said...

Glenna, I've lost you! I sent you an email about your namesake and it bounced! She needs lots of loving thoughts right now, I'm sure a vibe from the lady she's named after will help her heal fast. Take care and happy stitching!

Theresa said...

Please hop by my blog for an award~~