February 07, 2010

Day Three of our Incarceration: Speed the Plow

I have determined that we should not attempt to sail around the world in a small boat, BF and I. Please send a snowplow. We are stuck and getting on each other's last nerve, a refrain I have heard throughout the neighborhood. Everyone dashed into the bright sunshine today to clear their driveways, sidewalks and decks and to air their grievances (said one woman to another "He's in my kitchen constantly! Eating!") We took turns scanning the horizon and waiting for the cheery scrape of Mr. Plow, to no avail. I now know what I will use all those neglected floss-away bags for, but the pity is, there will be no garbage pickup without the snowplow. No one can get to work tomorrow, even if the workplace is open; we can't leave the neighborhood even to go to the store. (Wailed one man to another: "I'm running out of beer!") I jest, mostly. I'm quite sure when (or if) we ever get back to work, I will look back nostalgically on our little cocoon of comfort (thank goodness we didn't lose the power, although it shivered off a number of times and came back on, only to do it again when we got all the appliance clocks re-set) and the smells of turkey-and-stuffing, and yogurt cake (see below) and slow-cooked spaghetti sauce wafting through the air (not all at the same time, of course). Definitely spring needs to come (go check out spring in Bow, Washington), so I can air out the house! It smells like food in here!

It is pretty, though we've heard we're to get another 5-8 inches of it on Tuesday into Wednesday. My front yard as of yesterday evening just as the storm ended.

I haven't had as much chance to stitch as I'd like--I seem to be constantly making a meal or cleaning up after it (In the interest of full disclosure, those meals are conceived by me. I was looking through blogs, for instance, and came upon Tongue in Cheek's French yogurt cake and had to make it immediately. I have a dozen or so containers of Brown Cow greek style vanilla and plain yogurt, and used two of those, even though they're no-fat and most french yogurt is whole-milk. I did add a little milk in case the greek style was too thick. No matter, the cake turned out wonderfully, with a moist, tender crumb and delicate tangy-lemon flavor. Like pound cake without the pound of butter.) Here's some progress on "Holy Moses."

And on "Wisdom."

Pink: "Mom, I'll bet I can dig us out with this big foot." Yes, you could, Pink, and seeing those claws makes me think that you and the other buns are going to have to have the mani-pedi spa treatment tomorrow.

Happy week ahead, all!

26 comments:

Melissa said...

I sense Cabin Fever!!! Yikes. I hope it warms up soon for you. Meanwhile I see lots of wonderful progress on your pieces.

Thanks for the link to the yogurt cake recipe. I've recently found her blog too - it's wonderful, except I want to buy everything she has!

Unknown said...

During my Walmart 'stock up before the storm' shopping spree, I bought my husband a new computer game - for this very reason. I figured it would keep him occupied fo rhours and keep us from aggravating each other if we wound up being stuck. It doesn't look like our little corner of VA got it as bad as you guys or it might be that our trucks got around a little quicker this time - either way, we were able to get out yesterday and today.

I feel like I am living in a snow globe that someone keep shaking.

Nancy said...

Maybe the storm coming early this week will turn and go another direction. I hope your plow shows up soon so you can get out for awhile. Your stitching is very beautiful! I love the little fish and the pattern of the water, and Wisdom has the prettiest colors! Ouch on the bunny claws!

Margaret said...

I hope you all survive the cabin fever! I remember that feeling -- at least you don't have small kids to entertain. Oh wait -- there's your BF. lol! Just kidding! Looove Holy Moses! And Wisdom is looking good too! Great stuff! Good luck! Hope you don't get much more snow! Maybe it'll come to us for a change.

xeyedmary said...

OOF! You're having the winter we had 2 or 3 years ago! I love the progression of the 3 photos showing your front yard filling up with snow, although I feel, or rather, have felt, your pain.
I think I missed at least one day of work for 6 out of 8 weeks, due to snow.
And don't wish too hard for the plows- you'll have a hopelessly huge, impossibly hard, snow bank to shovel, but no place to shovel it, except 5 feet up!
Save some energy for stitching- slather on hand cream- shoveling makes your palms sweat and get chapped from your gloves!
And Bengay for the aches...

RG said...

Treats holding up bunns???

"Boat Drinks! The boys in the band ordered Boat Drinks!" ..."I shot 6 holes in my freezer ..."

I think this was Jimmy Buffet's cabin fever song.

VegasJilly said...

i live in carroll county, md and have been stuck in my house for 2 1/2 days with my boyfriend....i will be glad for tomorrow when he has to go to work and i get to stay home (liberal leave) and have the house all to myself... and my house has smelled like white chicken chili for two days....def need some airing out. lol....should be interesting to see how this 5+ inches is handled

d. moll, l.ac. said...

On a boat you could push him off and no one would know...nice pic of the Pink!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Thanks for the recipe share, and good luck finding ways to cope with cabin fever. I'm totally in favor of putting Pink to work, if he's game.

MyLifesAStitch said...

Oh nooo!! :( I hope they get the plows up your street, stat!!! Progress on both pieces is looking great! And, of course, Pink is too cute to be real, I think!

Annemarie said...

I don't think I can rightly express in words how much I love your samplers in progress!

As for the snow... you live in a fairy tale house in Fairy Tale Land. Really, you do!

Giovanna said...

I really like your Holy Moses! Hope you get relief from the snow real soon.

Catherine said...

Your stitching is looking good!

I can so relate to not getting as much stitching done as I thought during the big snow - between shoveling, dressing boys up in snow gear then helping them out of it and drying it, there wasn't much extra time!

Now more snow Tuesday night - Wednesday and now they are saying into Thursday morning!! UGH!

Michelle said...

I hope you can get out and about soon. But all the cooking sounds yummy! Both of your pieces that you've worked on look fabulous - Wisdom has such gorgeous colors in it!!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

We didn't get near what you got, but there's more on the way...YIKES! Good thing I've got plenty 'o projects to keep me company ;)

mainely stitching said...

I'm so glad that we haven't been snowed in like that. Closeness is one thing, but it should be optional. LOL!

Marjo said...

Okay, now I want cake. :) The chart you asked about was Lois Minshall by Threads of Gold. I love your progress on Moses. I love the colors.
I will trade you my snow fall for yours (mine won't thaw until May, maybe not then )
Have a great day and hi to the bunnies.

RG said...

OK - read the newest Mr. Weather report - it is AWFUL.

We are sending Shackelton - hang on.

RG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Siobhán said...

ROFLOL about your neighbor's comment about her husband being in her kitchen--eating. ROFLOL. Hang in there! Look on the bright side--your stitching looks great!

The Scarlett House said...

I would love being housebound, but it would drive me crazy to have DH wondering aimlessly around looking for something to eat or do. Hang in there.

Katrina said...

Well with more snow coming I am guessing the cabin fever will get worse before it gets better, LOL.

Love your stitching pictures, that is one nice thing about being snowed in :-).

Melanie said...

I feel for you! We're supposed to get 10"+ today, and it's not even a drop in the bucket to what you've had to contend with this winter!! My B & SIL live in Columbia, MD, and they got almost 34" last weekend, with another 10"-20" today. Yikes!

By the way, your house looks lovely, even surrounded by snow!

Enjoying watching your progress on "Holy Moses"....your blog entries enticed me to buy the pattern myself! (Haven't started it yet.)

Daffycat said...

Being snowed in is no fun! BTW you are not allowed to suffocate DBF with unused floss-a-way bags, no matter how much he gets on your nerves. K?

Your snow is pretty though. It's amazing how something so beautiful can cause so much havoc!

Christina said...

I am sick sick sick of snow this year. Everytime I turn around they are forecasting snow again. ARGH! Turkey and stuffing sounds yummy, my taste buds perked up reading that. Pink-sounds like a nail trim is in your future, better run bun!

Brigitte said...

I hope the plow has come and saved you all from cabin fever, lol.
Your stitching looks great, such great progress pictures. Stitching with all these lovely colours should warm your heart and make you think of spring.