July 08, 2007

Hot Summer Sunday

I've taken up Whale Hunting again; it's so hot here that stitching on something that looks like Maine is sort of refreshing. The project's better than 1/2 done now, and I'm at the left-hand margin. There are 12 charts total to this, and I've completed a bit more than six of them, although some of the remaining charts have just a small area to work. I'd really like to finish this up, as other than a Christmas design earlier this year and the Neighborhood RR design I did, I haven't completed anything.

And I've made a little progress on Leslie's Neighborhood RR. Those of you who guessed Just Nan is the designer were right. The design is called "Winterhaven," and it's hard to extract just the house and leave behind all the lovely surrounding design and embellishments.


Here's my newest project. I've been collecting house designs, thanks to the RR project, but I couldn't bear not to start this myself. What I have done so far doesn't photograph well on the light-colored hand-dyed linen I chose; hopefully as I get to a darker part of the design, I can show it to you. In the meantime, my LNS was out of the dark brick-colored variegated floss, so I went to ABC stitch's online site to buy some and yikes--found another perfect project by Victoria Sampler, called Harbour Village. The brick house sampler is a Chessie and Me design. The fun thing about it is that it is all specialty stitches. The bricks are done in "brick stitch" which is amazingly realistic and something I'll have to use on future projects.

I mean, really. How can you resist? (Photo borrowed from ABC Stitch.) I love ABC Stitch, by the way. Anytime I've ever ordered anything from them, it has shown up quickly, in my mailbox six states away, always within a few days. And if my two LNS's don't have it--whatever it is--I've been able to get it from ABC Stitch.

I start a vacation in two weeks, which I'm excited about. We are having most of the floors replaced in our house (all the yucky white carpet comes out and is being replaced by hardwood and tile, surfaces that stand up to the messes of six cats a lot better than the white carpet has), and someone has to stay home while the workers are doing their thing, so I'm hoping to get lots of stitching/sewing/ knitting/gardening time in.

12 comments:

Donna said...

The "Whale Hunting" looks great, Keep up the good work. Have a great vacation.

mainely stitching said...

It's great to see Whale Hunting again - I just LOVE this design!!!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Hurray WH!!! It's looking super :)

And CRAP, I already have seen the VS but I tried to forget it...now you've brought it back to my attention and I'm thinking, thinking, thinking about it...LOL!

Carol said...

Your Whale Hunting is a sight for sore eyes! I actually picked that up at Yankee Cross Stitch a few weeks ago after ogling yours for so long :-) And what a lovely start to the RR - Leslie will surely be thrilled!

Jennifer said...

Whale Hunting is a great design and it looks fantastic!! These houses are so cute.

Stitch Wizard said...

I want this project so bad you just can't imagine. I have to wait for another payday next week and then I am getting Harbor Village for sure. My husband is from Camden, Maine and it looks like Camden. Isn't this just a beautiful project? You have great taste. I also love your Whale Hunting stitch too! You do really beautiful work! Debby :)

Michelle said...

Whale Hunting is looking wonderful - I just love that piece. I may have to dive in and get that Victoria Sampler design - what a beauty! Enjoy your extra stitching time!

Wendy said...

Whale Hunting looks great! And these new designs are so hard to resist!!

Annemarie said...

Whew! Whale Hunting is enormous, but such fun to see! I hope it is as much fun to stitch. I agree, the bricks in that sampler look great. I hope you get lots of stitching done when the workers are sweating over your floors.

Kathy said...

Love Whale Hunting. I have thought of doing it for one of my stitching sisters. She loves whales. You piece looks awesome. Although it is a large piece, I still may have to do it. Also like the new Victoria Sampler design.

Stitch Wizard said...

Oh thank you so much for your post about getting Harbour Village by The Victoria Sampler from ABC Stitch! I also want that one and have been searching to see who I can get it from the best way! I am going to get it tomorrow!! I also love Whale Hunting and you have done such a great job on it!!! Debby :)

the striped rose said...

I like your pick for the rr. I cannot wait to see how they turn out.

Michele