October 07, 2006

Distractions


There are lots of distractions this weekend. It is chilly and rainy, and I'm thinking about that impossibly soft yellow sweater I'm knitting. I really should pick up the needles for a while this weekend.

Then there's Charles Frazier's new book, Thirteen Moons. He's the author of Cold Mountain (loved the book, but despised the choice of actress--the brittle Nicole Kidman--and I thought the screenplay was awkward and clunky), and this new book promises to be interesting. Like Cold Mountain, it's off to a bit of a slow start. I love his voice, though; I can hear western North Carolina in every sentence. I lived there for a while, and in Eastern Tennessee, and I've spent a lot of time camping and hiking in the Smokies, so it's like a return to a dear and familiar territory.

I'm off to the library too, to pick up some books I reserved ages ago and still want to read (although I may decline a couple of them since I won't get to them quickly, and others might as well read them first). Doesn't it figure they'd arrive when I have all these other things to read and do?

Some stash arrived in the mail yesterday including the rest of the fibers for "Birth of Jesus," and I'm becoming a total fan of Elegant Stitch in California. In each case I've ordered from them on a Tuesday afternoon and have received my order in the mail Friday. I've started "Birth of Jesus" which is working up to be far more colorful than the picture hinted at. Pictures of all that tomorrow, when I've made enough progress to share. And I've moved into a fourth page (out of twelve) of "Whale Hunting." There's lots of ground to cover, quite literally. Funny that I am not tired of stitching the ocean but don't much enjoy all that yellowy-green grass. Fortunately, I have a week off planned later this month so I can get some of this stuff done!

4 comments:

LivnLaf said...

Hi Glenna...if you liked Cold Mountain you'll like Sara Gruen's Water For Elephants...well written and just a nice all around read. check it out and let me know what you think if you haven't read it already. it's got a list of names for reserve at the library as long as my arm though.
Sue(Red)

Anonymous said...

Your yellow sweater looks pretty. And I am still a huge fan of your Whale Hunting.

Annemarie said...

My, you are going to be busy! I would love to curl up with a book again, but stitching always interferes. I might look into audiobooks... Charles Frazier sounds great.
I had no idea Whale Hunting was going to be so huge! Good luck with that. I hope you get some knitting done as well. Enjoy your weekend!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

The sweater is gorgeous! Boy, aren't large areas of one color boring?