January 24, 2016

Snow

Greetings from Siberia, all! You might have heard we had just a bit of snow in the Washington, DC area. We live a little south of the Beltway, so we got a bit less--maybe 20 inches. It was quite a storm, but we came through it just fine, with lots of stitching and hot chocolate and no loss of power, for which we are grateful. Now the sun is shining and we're looking forward to being plowed out. I suspect we'll be in for another day as our local roads are impassable. Here's a shot of the house.
For obvious reasons I felt inspired to start "Up on the Rooftop" by The Drawn Thread. I had all the called-for GAST fibers, and I knew I had the called-for Wisper somewhere in my stash, so I went on a dig.
I didn't find the Wisper because I found this chart instead. I started it some time back. This is Miriam Chilvers' Sampler 1833, by Samplers Remembered. I originally started her in 2010--time for her to be off my q-snaps and framed. I don't generally imagine what a frame should look like in advance, but I'm thinking something in the gray blue color of some of the motifs.
Here's a photo of the entire project as it stands. It is photographing lighter and bluer than it is in real life. The lighter blue threads are more of a blue-gray, and the fabric, Lakeside 40 count, probably Lentil, is photographing a light blue as well. Probably the reflection of the snow changing the color of the light.
Here's a close-up of the project.

Here's a shot I took last night with my phone. I've done more since then, but this gives you a better idea of the colors of the fabric and floss.
Here's my stitching cat, Slinky. She loves it when I settle down to stitch and snuggles close. She's a bit camera-shy.
Happy week, all!

16 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Love the snow and the stitching. Slinky sure is a pretty girl.

marly said...

What a difference a phone makes. The colors are great and I think your idea for the frame will really look nice. Hello Slinky.

deb said...

Slinky looks like a sweet girl. And your sampler is lovely.

Lived many years (and a number of big storms) just west of the beltway - glad you came through okay!

CraftyGurl said...

Snow is always more beautiful viewed from inside a warm house with Cocoa LOL

The colors you are using for the Sampler piece, they are so pretty.

Hope your snow melts quickly!!

Jan said...

We spent a few hours digging out the driveway to the street. Luckily both our offices are closed tomorrow. YAY! More stitching time.

Robin in Virginia said...

Your sampler is a gorgeous piece. Hello Slinky!

MyLifesAStitch said...

Love that sampler! I don't think I've ever seen it before. I knew I could count on you for some Snowzilla stitchy goodness. ;)

Margaret said...

Glad you survived the storm well with power. Whew! We got 10 inches with no real wind -- northern edge of the storm. Love your Miriam Chivers -- so pretty!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Wow, that's some serious snow. Definitely a good day to stash dive. I did a little of that myself this weekend sans snow though.

Melissa said...

Glad to hear you survived the snowstorm. It was all over the news here.

Love Miriam. I think I bought the chart ages ago because of you!

Slinky is very sweet. I would love it if one of my cats was a snuggler!

Vonna, The Twisted Stitcher said...

Your home is very similar in style to ours :)
I think up on the rooftop is the perfect start and what a wonderful sampler you are stitching! I love those gray tones!

Minnie said...

We got one truck dug out the rest can wait, I love the fabric color on the sampler.

Brigitte said...

The post title says it all, Glenna, lol. And what can you do if you do not want to spend the whole days shoveling snow? You stitch.
Great progress on these lovely projects.

Rabbits' Guy said...

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! (OK - that's enough now!)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Beautiful stitching! Slinky is a cute cat!

Marjo said...

Pretty colors in that sampler. Love it!