January 13, 2013

Flair

Hi, everyone! It's a chilly drippy weekend here, and I've been happy to be indoors, stitching with all the lamps turned on. In this gloomy part of the winter it's also nice to see some flair. I've been working on this sampler (note the flair) this weekend--I haven't worked on it for a couple of years. It's been waiting patiently in its project bag. Do you recognize it? Clearly Scottish.
How about this? It's Janet Gibson's Scottish Swan sampler, by Whimsey and Wit.
Not sure if it's still in print, but possibly.
I did a lot of stitching this week, since we don't have any litigation going to trial in the next few weeks at work, which means I get to take lunch and leave on time, leaving a lot more time for stitching. Mary Ann Hoover. Mary Ann's colors are a tad gloomy, so I switched out to something brighter, which is what brought me back to Janet Gibson.
Look what arrived in the mail all the way from Canada! (The Essamplaire). Lady Needlework! Tom decided I needed to stitch her. No small understaking, our lady!
Here's a closeup (from the large 2-page stitching photo) of her face and the serpent twining around her wrist. While it's an unknown symbol of something, I can guess that it's the needlework serpent, which has us under its spell. Needlework serpent also makes a pretty nifty thread snip. Speaking of thread, there are approximately 55 colors of AVAS included in the kit.
The daunting part: probably 50% of this picture is done in queen stitches. Queen stitches make up the ground, most of the flowers, the bugs and the trees. The sky is stitched in a diamond satin pattern. The lady, the castle, the uncorn and the lion, as well as some other small elements, are stitched in tent or continental stitch, over one. In fact, all of the squares on the chart represent one thread, not two. I'm thinking of converting the pattern over-two using counted cross for all but a few of the flowers. It will spoil some of the nice texture, but it might save my sanity. It will also double the size of the finished picture (currently 15.5 x 13.75"). I've been griping about the size of my finished designs, since I have so many bare walls, and stitching on 40 count means that even the largest, most elaborate project turns out too small to be anything but part of a group for impact.
Stitching flair: mica! The mica is cut and shaped to fit the windows of the castle in the background, then they are stitched into place. Fun but nerve-wracking, since the mica flakes and crumbles easily.
Peaches says my sampler conversations are a bore.
May your week ahead contain lots of flair!

28 comments:

Erica said...

OMG! What an amazing sampler that is! I don't think I have ever seen it before. I will have to keep my eye out for that one!

Cari said...

Lady Needlework indeed. Glenna...you find the most amazing pieces to stitch. This Lady is going to be magnificent. I'm so looking forward to watching this one come to life. Hugs to the bunny !!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

CSWOW! You are much braver than me to take on such a beautiful sampler. I have been stitching queen stitches, a dividing band, I cannot image stitching so many Queen stitches in one sampler

llknbillburg said...

Amazing sampler! But I agree with your plan. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby not one that puts you in the loony bin!!!Laura

Gabi said...

Both of your samplers are gorgeous. And WOW what concerns the lady. What a beauty, but it would drive me probably crazy with all those queen stitches. It will be fantastic to follow your progress :)

Margaret said...

lol about Peaches! Love that pic! I want to stitch that sampler with the lady too. She is so amazing. Have to save up for her. Love Mary Ann's colors. And Janet Gibson. We won't talk about her. I have her languishing. That swan floored me. lol!

Laurie in Iowa said...

LOL... Peaches just doesn't get it!
OMG... I love the Lady and have been going back and forth over whether or not to order the kit.

Glad you'll have more stitching time in the coming few weeks.

Deb said...

Wonderful stitching as always, but WOWSER on that new sampler. It's beautiful, and those queen stitches look so wonderful for the grass, but I can't imagine all those queen stitches. It's going to be a wonderful piece though!!

Deb said...

Oh,one other thing - I'd love to know what fabric you're using for Janet. I started this one last year and disliked my linen and dropped it. I love how yours looks on the linen you chose!

marly said...

Oh my goodness. Janet is magnificent! How could you have put her down? Well, all of your samplers are stunning so I guess it's hard to decide. Now about the Lady. I'm not sure I will still be alive by the time it's done. I don't think I've ever seen a piece with that amount of work, and with specialty stitches! Obviously it's nothing new to Peaches.

Melissa said...

Oh my, that last sampler just takes my breath away!

Your swan sampler looks very pretty but I have a soft spot for Mary Ann! I've been eyeing it on Essamplaire and holding out still! You may tempt me yet!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Love it all! It is a chilly wet weekend here in Arkansas too! silly Peaches!

Terri said...

Oh my stars, Glenna! What a beautiful sampler. It will be so fun watching you stitch it.

Catherine said...

Lovely projects ~ and wow! That last one is a stunner! Looking forward to seeing you bring this to life!

marjo said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff as always, can't wait to watch your progress on all of them.

RG said...

Holy smoke ... endless stitching but it will be glorious.

Peaches just needs a lonf winter's nap!

Annemarie said...

Oh my... This new sampler looks and sounds like quite an undertaking, but if anyone can do it, it's you. Beautiful choice of sampler, as Always. Oh, and your WIPs aren't half bad either :o)

Katrina said...

Janet Gibson is just gorgeous and that Essamplaire piece is stunning. I will be happy to live vicariously through you on that one :-).

Giovanna said...

Wow, the Lady is amazing - challenging, but probably fun to stitch as well. Have fun! Nice going on the WIPs too.

Susan said...

That is an amazing sampler! Not one I would stitch as queen stitch gives me hives but looking forward to watching your progress.

Siobhán said...

Wow!! What an amazing design that Essamplaire is! Love your progress on Janet Gibson, too.

Nicola said...

Lady Needlework looks amazing, this has to go on my wish list. You have soms lovely samplers being stitched. Those walls will soon fill up.

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Glenna, I recently got the beautiful "Lady Needlework" kit as well. I studied her for several days and decided to make a new color chart for myself and in the process, found several displaced stitches. I wrote Margriet at Essamplaire and just wanted to pass the information I found onto you....

Jun 30 at 7:22 AM
Hi Cheryl
I am impressed with what you are doing. There are displaced stitches, happens when tent stitch thing get put in there. Some queens might need an extra leg.

In Stitches,
Cheryl

Unknown said...

If you want to see some intersting posts about football then visit here;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barcelona-Trolling-Club/1381722335491880