June 28, 2009

Almost July

It's nearly July, the month in which I've got a little self-challenge to stitch as many summery/beachy/patriotic themes as possible. How many can I do? I went to Fredericksburg yesterday to visit the LNS and pick up a chart I'd ordered, and on the way, stopped to take a picture of this bunting-bedecked Victorian. Very patriotic-looking. It's actually a local business--a florist operates out of there, so I've been inside, and it has a lot of nicely decorated rooms used as showrooms. [Edited to add: note the swing on the right-hand section of porch. What a perfect place to stitch and gaze at the garden!]
Here's the window of Everything Cross Stitch. I couldn't get all the pictures, plus there's a lot of reflection, so it's a little hard to see, but IRL it's a very pretty patriotic-themed window.

Here's my progress on "July." I have Friday off, so I should be able to finish by next weekend.

Then it will be on to this design: LHN's "Brave Hearts." I'm doing all of these on 40 ct, although while I was at the LNS, I picked up some 45 ct. And I took "America" to the framer yesterday; it should be back in 3 weeks. I bought a red frame with a blue mat--I will go with a similar approach on all of the patriotic pieces. I'm planning to hang them all in the kitchen which is all white cabinetry, white counters and stainless stuff--sort of looks like a laboratory or a morgue, so those colors should warm it up. I'm seriously considering leaving them up year-round. A former co-worker did gorgeous cross stitch Santa Clauses, and left them up year-round, and they looked just right, if quirky, even in the dead of summer.

I've ordered this. It's called "Flag Day," and it's by "With Thy Needle." Check out her website--she has other cute designs.

Peaches decided to go for a little jaunt on the side of the tub today; she's calculating the best way to get down. Happy week ahead--may things not be precarious, says Peaches!

20 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Adventurous Peaches! Love the flag and sheep design. Happy stitching and stitching and stitching and stitching and....

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Oh my gosh! I love Fredericksburg and go every chance I get when we go home to my parents in SE VA. That house/business is beautiful!

Love your patriotic starts and the one from With my Needles is darling.

Peaches is so cute!

Margaret said...

What great pieces you're stitching and going to stitch! Good luck on the 45ct. I'm stitching a project on it, and I like it, but I think I like 40ct better. :D Your younger eyes will probably love it though.

Melissa said...

You're right about the porch and stitching. That would be a wonderful spot.

You've got lots of lovely stitching going on. That new one by With My Needle looks cute.

Jan said...

Shoot, Glenna! I wish I could join you for the whole month of July, in getting as many patriotic things done as I can! I love the idea of putting them in your kitchen. I use alot of patriotic things in my kitchen, and leave them for most of the year, just hide them during Christmas decorating!!

I have a start on Brave Hearts, I dearly love that one, and again am stitching it on 40 ct. It looks great on the higher count. Maybe will join you on this one in a week or two or three! LOL

Your PS is looking amazing, keep up the wonderful work. That is a great pic of Peaches, and I love the Patriotic Victorian house!!

Michelle said...

I love your idea of doing all patriotic pieces this summer! I also think hanging them in the kitchen year round is a fabulous idea. You may have inspired me!!

mainely stitching said...

Oh, Peaches is brave!! Speaking of brave, I had to brave Nachtegaal who was in a very foul mood all weekend. She does not like this humidity!

Siobhán said...

Oh my gosh... that florist shop is incredible! I would just love a house like that. Love that bunting! The LNS looks great, too. Lovely progress on July!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

So I take it Peaches is all clean and refreshed after her bath? Or perhaps she thinks she's at a spa? (As an aside, Cadbury's previous owner used to bathe him weekly. OMG!)

I love that house with the bunting. One of the things I don't like about Houston is that there aren't many houses like that.

And is that a lighthouse in "July?" I love lighthouses. The world needs more of them. No particular reason. They're just cool.

Kellie said...

Hi Glenna,
That house/business is so pretty. And I love that swing. You're right...a perfect place to stitch. :) You are fortunate to have a nice LNS close by. I love your PS progress and the projects you have lined up to start next. July makes me want to stitch patriotic/summer stuff as well. I have started a couple. :) Have a good stitchy week. I am looking forward to seeing all your projects and progress. Love the Flag Day design.

RG said...

I saw a bunny in a window in that house .. looked like Pink! Close all the bathroom doors .. quick!

Dona said...

The frame for America is perfect! Very cute. I'm also planning on stitching small patriotic pieces for my kitchen! The walls are navy and I would like to replace the plates in the white plate rack with patriotic designs. I think it would be fun to leave them out all year!

Kit said...

Everything looks beautiful. I like the idea of leaving the patriotic pieces up year round. Thank you so much for your advise on Dutch Beauty, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again!

The Scarlett House said...

What a cool house, Glenna. You have a talent for finding them. I love seeing the patriotic displays. You just don't see that out here, and it's a shame.
Glad to see that you are tackling the 45ct. YGG!

Unknown said...

I can't believe I didn't have your blog on my favorites! It is now...

Have you ever been down to Accomplishments in Charlottesville? It's mostly crewel, but she has a lot of cross stitch patterns, silk thread and beautiful linens. She also has antique samplers hanging on the walls! Very beautiful place...

Tammy said...

I adore all the patriotic stuff! I remember a few years ago that florist had a really cool collection of pumpkikns (electric) on the roof....I always wondered how she got 'em to stay up there, and they looked so magical!

Daffycat said...

What a lovely post. I'd so love a Victorian house...especially love those porches!

Have you seen this lolcats? Do all bunnies do this???

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2009/06/30/funny-pictures-video-energizer-bunneh/

Jeanne said...

Thank you for all the lovely photos Glenna - the Victorian house reminds of me of some of the homes you see in small midwestern towns as well. Peaches is just so cute and I love your red white & blue stitching - all of it! Happy 4th of July !

MyLifesAStitch said...

LOVE the patriotic patterns! Have a great 4th!!!

Brigitte said...

Your PS looks so great. And your future projects are just as beautiful.