March 01, 2009

We have Left Undone those Things Which we Ought to Have Done

Have you ever had one of those dreams where you are desperately trying to get to a class to take an exam, because it's the last day of the semester, but you forgot to go to class all semester and now you can't find the classroom? I had a real-life variation on that this weekend where I didn't realize until the last day that we were responsible for two chapters instead of the usual one, and that I had approximately 12 hours to read the text, figure out the material and complete the assignment. The chapter covered dilutive securities and convertible debt, the most horrid, difficult and time-consuming chapter in the book. I never did finish although I gave it a try. I shut the book at 11 p.m. last night (the assignment was due to be electronically posted at midnight) and went off to bed and didn't get up until 11 a.m. today, so today was messed up also. And it was no one's fault but my own.

I had planned to stitch a lot and go to the needlework shop in Alexandria today where they have (and are holding) my missing AVAS color! They were having also a trunk show of Queenstown Samplers, and the Woodlawn Needlework exhibition opens today as well. Woodlawn is right across the street from the needlework shop, but fortunately the exhibition goes on all month, so I'll go up another day. I did get a chance to pick up an order in Fredericksburg, including some nice Picture This linens in Moonglow (a light yellow) and Sterling (a blue-ish gray).

Anyway, here's something I did work on a bit during the week: The Procession, by the Workbasket. I'm stitching it on the called-for linen and threads: Apple Brown Bindy (32 count) and Caron Soie Cristale silk. The Soie Cristale is something I haven't used before this project. The surface is a little more shreddy and soft than the texture of the NPI and AVAS silks. And the design is a little weird, isn't it? Still, it's fun to do.


Dear BF cooked us dinner last night and today, he pumped up my tires with this little gadget. It's a small compressor, which you plug into your car's power socket (such as the lighter socket). No more waiting in line at the gas station, or paying 50 cents and then discovering it's broken, or in my case, driving around on tires that were ten pounds light. Note the snow on the windshield. After an entire winter of nothing much but a few flurries, we're apparently going to have a big winter storm with 6-10 inches of snow. I'm hoping for a day off.


And we have done those things which we ought not to have done....
Here's Pink in the closet, pretending that he didn't just chew the ends off BF's shoelaces. Happy week!

13 comments:

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, yes. I still have those dreams and I have been out of school for 25 years! With 1 kid in college and another one soon to follow, it just brings it all back. I have to recite the old mantra "you will survive." I actually was late for 1 final in college and when I got there, I swear the door was locked, but I don't think it really was. Very surreal.

I'm glad we're missing the snowstorm in Ohio. Enough is enough!

Melissa said...

My goodness, what a weekend for you Glenna! And a snowstorm to boot. Good thing you have stitching at home, and your fluffy babies around. That Workbasket looks interesting - I've never seen it before so looking forward to seeing more.

Hope this coming week will fare better! Take care.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Way cool tire gadget, want one. Sure looks to me like PInk was caught in the act......I dreamt about zombies last night, a real horror movie, and I don't even watch that, err, genre.

RG said...

Oh boy, I've had similar dreams .. can't remember where the classroom is, when the class is and if the prof will remember me!

Enjoy the snow ..ps Pink is innocent. (looking at least)

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Oddly, I never had that type of dream. I don't know why, since I've certainly been in that situation!

I hope you do get that snow day!

Theresa said...

Yup!!! Just had that dream again last night...... Don't know why cause I've already gradulated for so long.......

Hope your week will get better!!!

mainely stitching said...

Yep, I have variations galore on those standard stress dreams. Hate 'em. I usually go through the next day feeling that I've forgotten to do something important.

That picture of Pink cracks me up. He looks like one of my kids after they've done something naughty.

Brigitte said...

A well known situation. Often after some time off I go back to work with the feeling that I'm not fully prepared, that I forgot something very important. And usually it's nothing.
Very nice Workbasket project.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Your Procession looks great ;) It is a little odd looking as you said, but I have always admired it!
I bet you got your day off didn't you?

Fez and the Gang said...

I bet you got your wish for a day off! I got in to work but am planning on leaving early... no one else is here... only two of us take the metro and the drivers couldn't make it!

Siobhán said...

Usually my dreams are the 'I've arrived in class and realized I'm only wearing my nightgown' sort of dreams. :P I'm sorry to hear the stress with the school stuff. Hope you can destress with your stitching. The Procession looks good, I think! A little quirky but quirky is fun. :)

Annemarie said...

Weird? What do you mean, weird? I love that design and your stitching looks stunning.
Hope you managed to forget that nightmare... Mind you, doing that sort of an exam would give me the vapours, period.

Kellie said...

Yes, I have had those types of dreams. And the real life experiences too. I once overslept on the day of a final!

I like The Procession. Very pretty! Great that your AVAS is in. :)

Enjoy the snow if you get it. :)