June 17, 2007

A Little Progress on Long Dog

I didn't do as much stitching as I'd have liked on Long Dog, but it's moving along anyway. Not having to change colors speeds things up, although I'm thinking that things will slow down hugely when I have to stitch the grid in gray over the design.

My garden is trying to kill me, I think. Two weeks ago a brown recluse spider bit me in the hand. I didn't get much of a look at him, but the bite was tell-tale. It is just now beginning to heal; it looks like a bullet wound. Brown recluse bites are bad because the flesh around the bite dies and in order to get the infection out, you have to dig down and scoop out the bitten part, opening it up to drain and heal. Because it was a smallish bite, I resisted going off to the doctor, choosing to "operate" with a sterilized size 28 Piecemaker needle (which, by the way, is all I use now; I have yet to break one off in my needlework the way I do with the John James needles). I got a nasty case of poison ivy in the same outing while weeding the garden beds on the north side of the house.

Anyway, I'm on the mend, my garden is thriving, and I'm stitching, cleaning and blogging happily while DBF makes this luscious Sunday rotisserie. Mmmmm. Think I'll go up to the garden and pick some yellow squash to go with it!

11 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Oh boy, that sounds scary! Fortunately we have nothing more exotic in our garden than snails and toads!

Wendy said...

Oh, that spider bite sounds nasty! Good thing for those needles. Didn't realize they came in handy for first aid also. I hope your hand heals up quickly.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

YIKES a brown recluse and poison ivy in one day?! Owie!
Your LD looks good! (and your doing it on black too?! - you ARE the woman!)
The chicken looks tasty as well and the squash would have been the perfect compliment!

I agree about the 28 piecemakers...they are my absolute favorites and I need to go to my LNS and get another...I lose them like mad! (kids ya know...)

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Glad you are on the mend! i just hate spiders of any kind! Your stitching looks very nice!

LivnLaf said...

Wince...spiders creep me out...esp. those big brown fuzzy ones we have around here. Shiver.
Thanks for the clue on piecemakers...for stitching not gouging out dead skin I mean...I go through the JohnJames like they are made of tin.

Chelle said...

Your Long Dog is beautiful. Love the color combination. Hope your hand is whole again soon!

Carol said...

Oh, so pretty!!!

Michelle said...

Your Long Dog is looking beautiful! I've been bitten by a brown recluse as well, and it is not fun. Hope your garden decides to give you a break!

Margaret said...

A very bad gardening experience if you ask me. Glad to hear you are on the mend.
Long Dog is looking good.

Sue said...

Your Long Dog looks great. I love the lighter thread on the darker fabric ;)

Jennifer said...

Very pretty! I'm really liking the contrast. Hope your spider bite heals up very quickly.