July 06, 2014

Round Here

Hi, guys! It's been a while, but in the waning hours of my three-day weekend, I thought I would catch you up on what's on my Q-snaps. Those who know me as a "serious" stitcher might be surprised to see this little whimsical design and the equally whimsical framing treatment (framed by In Stitches--thanks, Karen for suggesting the grass-green linen fillet). Fun! This was a two-weekend project, more or less. This is "Daisy Dog" by Stitchy Kitty. I used the called-for overdyed cotton fibers and a piece of 32 count PTP in Aerial (I think) from my stash.
Here's a little something that surfaced when I cleaned out a closet this weekend--from time to time it has shown up over the years and I figure it's time to get it framed. It's on 14 count aida, and it's kind of charming. In the right frame, it'll be a cute addition to my kitchen full of oddball, brightly framed projects (white walls, white cabinets, white counters--something has to break up that monotony).
Another old friend: Beatrix Potter Alphabet. I bought it about 25 years ago, as a kit. I don't love the linen--it's a bit meshy--but I do like the design. Lots of backspacing which brings the animals into focus--sheesh.
Blackbird Designs' Agnes Platt: I'm on the the last third of the design with the strawberry baskets.
A close-up: I'm using 40 count Maritime white I think, and a conversion to Belle Soies.
I've started up again on Winter at Beacon House by Praiseworthy Stitches, using the called-for overdyed cottons (GAST and WDW):
I just purchased this, and it arrived yesterday in the mail. By Madame Chantilly. I love the design. Because I'm using fabric from my stash which is a different color from the called-for "natural," I'm changing the colors, using overdyed threads instead of the called-for DMC colors (there's also one European skein--onyx, which is an overdyed black-to-gray. Instead of the onyx, I will use "Midnight," which is I think a Gentle Art floss in a dark navy-to slightly lighter blue.
And, not really last, since I have at least another half dozen things going (will show you those next time), I started With Thy Needle and Thread's "Patriotic Poppies." I'm using the called for cotton fibers and a piece of Picture This Plus 40 count Legacy from my stash. I changed the white of the sheep because my fabric was a different color than the one suggested by the designer.
Here's an older photo of Peaches saying hello. All four of the bunnies are doing well. I have recently blown out a knee going down a simple flight of stairs, when my kneecap jumped the track and created all kinds of ligament havoc. That has probably put an end to my running, but I'm biking now, walking regularly, and I'm taking up weight training, which my orthopedist highly recommends for his older patients, since it builds bone density. My vacation was spent not at the beach but sitting on my sofa, stitching for a solid week. There are worse things, for sure!

20 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Glenna! Sorry to hear about your knee; hope you're doing well.

Your stitching is lovely, as always. I really like Agnes and the Potter alphabet. And stitching on the sofa...there are definitely worse ways to spend a vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenna sorry to hear about your knee. I too get to sit and stitch a week with my leg up I have a DVT and multiple superficial blood clots. so wonderful and to top it off I found out on my birthday what a great surprise. Getting old sucks. Glad all 4 buns are doing well. I am loving my one! they are so sweet!

Margaret said...

Yikes on your knee! Such a bummer! Good for you for keeping up with the exercise alternatives though. Love all your stitching projects. That dog at the top is adorable!

marly said...

Ouch. Good to see a post with a nice assortment of stitching to boot.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Glad you and the bunnies are doing well. Cadbury and I are quite busy, but getting through the Houston summer just fine.

Binkies!

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenna, I enjoy reading your blog & your stitching is gorgeous! Could you please tell me the name of the piece in your header? I love it!
Thanks
Maureen (Canada)
mgw070 at shaw dot ca

RG said...

Wow - look who is here! Thought maybe you ran off with a trucker!

Glad to see everyone is still upright - bunnies especially I guess!

Bummer on the knee - biking and etc. will be good. I have plantar fascitis in my left foot, so running has been nada for about 2 months - with 2 months more to go probably. Biking though!

Take care and keep stitching!

Hi Bunns!

Brigitte said...

So sorry to read about your knee. But good that you can still do some sports activities. I hope the healing will be fast.

What a display of wonderful projects you show here. I'm totally in awe for each of them. Two great finishes, the funny Daisy Dog in awesome colours and the lovely flower pitcher. The Beatrix Potter Alphabet is looking so great, each time I watch the movie I want to stitch one of these designs. But I still have to have a pattern, lol. Great stitching on your other WIPs as well. So many different projects and styles, so you never get bored with your stitching.

Robin in Virginia said...

It was good to see your post this morning, Glenna! Sorry to hear about your knee, but glad you are able to continue with the exercise regime without the running. Enjoyed seeing your current projects (finishes, WIPs, and starts).

Robin in Virginia

Melissa said...

Glenna, it's so nice to see a post from you! Lots of lovely stitchy things as always. I think the little Woof is cute! My favourite, of course is the Agnes Platt sampler! She's on my to-stitch list for sure.

Glad the bunnies are well but ouch on your knee! It sounds like you have a good get-back-to-health plan though. Take care!

Cari said...

Hi !! Welcome back to blogland, a trip I should make myself !! I love, love, love all of your stitching projects. You are one amazing stitcher. Hugs to you and sweet Peaches as well. Sounds like you're taking great care of your knee and your entire self too !!

Susan said...

Sorry to hear about your knee, but it's great you can still cycle. Lovely stitching. I have that alphabet somewhere...

valerie said...

Looks like you managed to get lots of stitching done on your week off. So sorry to hear that you hurt your knee. I hope if starts to feel better soon.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Love all the stitching and the dog is a riot. Hello to you and the bunnies.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sorry you've got a Wounded Knee :-(

Thank you for posting the Madame Chantilly design, it might be just the thing for my cousin's baby!

Your stitching is looking lovely too.

Anna van Schurman said...

I am surprised to see that pink dog among your finishes. But it is cute and now with a fabulous frame job. Love the Madame Chantilly piece. Can't wait to see it. Sorry about your knee. Hope your recovery is complete.

Donna said...

Hi Glenna, I am lovin your Blog cover alphabetic sampler picture. Would you please share the pattern name, fabric and fibers used?

Frances said...

I have just found your blog and it is really a treat to read and see your lovely stitching! Good luck on your knee. What a fun pink dog!

Deb said...

Hi, Glenna, Just back to stitching again and trying to get back in touch with friends. I'm amazed as always with your beautiful work and the amount of it!! I was sorry to hear about your knee, but sounds like your exercise program has you making up for it! Wow!! I'll be stopping in to keep up with you.
Deb/LavenderRoseRamblings

Tammy said...

I'm so sorry about your knee! Must be the season-I took a tumble in the garage and messed mine up too, but not nearly as bad as yours. Hope you heal up soon! Your stitching is beautiful-can't believe you stitched that much in one day on that project! That's great! And Peaches is precious! Feel better soon Glenna!