December 30, 2012

Christmas Start(s)

Hi, all! I promised some photos of gifts received, some new charts and a Christmas start. I received this wonderful rabbit pillow (and accompanying bunny card) from Melissa. It's beautifullly stitched and finished, and I just love it, Melissa! Thank you so much--you know that bunnies are dear to my heart!
Here is my Christmas start, a design called "Maria's Sampler 1831" from GigiR's Collection Privee line. I purchased it with several other GigiR designs, and as I studied the photo (which is of the original sampler and is dark and smallish), I realized what a stunning design it is. Under the 7 lovely alphabets (cross stitch, algerian eyelet, four-sided stitch) are figures and symbols from 1831 Portuguese society. They are surrounded by birds, animals and various flowers. The cover photo just hints at the richness of this sampler, and I believe that with all these varied figures, I should never be bored with it. There are many different colors and they aren't dark at all!
Here's my start. I received a couple of generous gift certificates for In Stitches, so I decided to do a conversion from the design, which is charted for Gentle Art Sampler Threads to Belle Soie and Silk n Colors silks. The design size is quite large, 494W x 562H, or 24.75 x 28.25 inches (before framing allowances). I am stitching it on Picture This Plus 40 count in Sand.
Here is my other Christmas "start," which actually consisted of pulling the threads from the kit and stringing them through the thread holder. I didn't get a chance to put needle to fabric. This is Mary Ann Hoover, brand new from The Essamplaire. I am also stitching her on 40 count Lakeside. I have a second gift winging its way to me from The Essamplaire. I will show her to you when she arrives next week. See if you can guess which one, Essamplaire stitchers. Tom asked me a few weeks before Christmas what sampler I'd like to have that would be challenging and enjoyable and colorful but that I wouldn't buy for myself. I replied, telling him about the how the original sampler that was reproduced had mica in the windows of the castle--it's that elaborate.
Before the Essamplaire orders and the 3 GigiR designs I bought on Stitch Night, I had been amassing a bunch of these designs by Ewe and Eye and Friends. Ellen, the owner of In Stitches, has a whole bunch of them stitched and hanging in her home and I decided that I must stitch as many as I can. They're ideal because they're rather small. Think I'll get any of them done this year? Maybe not, although I'll try for at least one.
And a couple of things I finished: two Prairie Schooler ornaments, which I stitched for the In Stitches staff Christmas Party gift exchange. They are stitched over one on black Cashel using DMC. I purchased the two little frames at Michaels. They were inexpensive and surprisingly well-made and substantial--I couldn't have been more pleased. The problem with stitching tiny ornaments is that little pillows are too light and are likely to get lost on the tree.
Pink says Merry Christmas. This photo is several years old--the bunnies spent Christmas week at the bunny spa; I picked them up yesterday and brought them home.
Happy week ahead. Next up, a New Year's start. (Yes, there's more...)

20 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow! Fantastic eye candy as usual! I know what other kit you're getting -- I only know cause I just recently read the description with the mica windows. lol! Nice! I want that one too of course. Love the PS ornies you made -- so small! Love the new EEF charts too! And of course your new Essamplaire kit and the Gigi R start. Happy New Year!

barbara said...

Those little PS finishes are just too cute - which booklet are they from? And your new starts - wow!!!

Seeing Pink just now makes me wonder if I was subconsciously thinking of him when I fell in love with Arthur. I wonder.... In any case, give Pink our greets! (And Elvis, Peaches, and ...I forgot the "new" one's name, sorry!)

MarchAnn said...

Everything looks great such wonderful stash. You made a good start on your new sampler it will look wonderful.
Have a great New Years and stay safe.

Melissa said...

Oh wow, such great things. I knew you would get that new ESS kit! I love Mary Ann and will look forward to seeing how she stitches up. Are there lots of over ones?

Anyway, love the little PS finishes and on Black!!! They are so pretty.

The new GigiR start looks great. That is a huge piece!

Glad you liked my gifties!;-)

Happy New Year!

Cari said...

Oh my gosh...I love your stitching starts, finishes and in-betweens !! I like to do the EEF charts in between some of my larger pieces. They are so much fun to stitch. Have a wonderful new year celebration and bunny hugs....

cari

Giovanna said...

Lovely new starts, and those ornaments are just... perfect! Happy 2013!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Lovely stitchy stuff.

Deb said...

Those PS ornaments came out just darling!! You know that I always have to keep one eye closed when I come to your blog. You always have the best new stash or projects going on. Definitely eye candy!

Jan said...

The new start looks great. Are you bringing it to Stitch Night for us to see?

Catherine said...

Beautiful stitches and goodies!

marly said...

I only discovered GiGiR designs recently and the project you chose is magnificent, never mind HUGE. But do I ever love Hoover, and although I am a devout wimp, I may have to consider this one.

Laurie in Iowa said...

The GigiR sampler has so much going on... you won't be bored stitching that one. You've picked two great Christmas starts and I can't wait to see what you start on the New Year.
The framed PS ornaments look great. Lots of wonderful new stash too.

RG said...

Lotsa work there - gonna be pretty. Hope the fingers hold out. Nose bumps to buns.

Chris said...

I LOVE both your new sampler starts. They are amazing!
The PS ornaments are gogeous.
Wishing you and the bunnies a wonderful 2013!

Nicola said...

I adore the photo of Pink, so cute.

You have chosen such exquisite samplers to work. I am going to enjoy following your progress.

Happy New Year dear friend. I wish the New year brings you lots of happiness and joy. May God shower his abundant blessings upon you all year round.

Katrina said...

Wow, everything is gorgeous!!!!! Love, love, love the little PS ornaments. Pretty new sampler too!!!! Happy new year :-)!

Katherine said...

Glenna - an amazing mass of Christmas goodness! Happy New Year.

Susan said...

Great starts and looking forward to seeing your new kit. I love the PS ornaments, the frames are perfect.

Sharon said...

Some amazing samplers that you have planned! Love the Gigi R start-it's magnificent!

Brigitte said...

The two PS finishes look stunning in these frames. A great match, I think.
OH my, all these E&E&F charts are so attractive, I could buy them all myself - if I didn't have a couple of E&E&Fs in my stash already, lol. Enjoy stitching them.
Great new sampler starts!