August 13, 2009

Lunch with Christinia

I have had lunch with Christinia this week instead of studying for my finals on Saturday. I believe I'm pretty much studied out--I don't care much about the outcome at this point. Usually I bring my lunch, but once a week or so I get takeout. Today was Ethiopian, from the little coffee shop at George Washington University's law school book store. Mostly they sell very good Ethiopian coffees and Italian sodas and such, but I don't drink coffee. They have three Ethiopian lunches; this is the vegetarian one. When I put the photos together here I realized how much the colors of my lunch echoed the colors in Christinia's sampler.

The spongy-looking "bread" draped over the partitioned take-out container is injera, made with teff, rather than wheat. It has a tangy sour-dough-ish flavor and is stretchy, perfect for picking up/mopping up the stews. I'm never sure which stews are wots and which are alitchas, but the top left is mild, silky pureed split peas, then clockwise is a spicy red lentil stew. Below that are collards with garlic and mild spices, then a cold salad of beets and potatoes and onions and on the left green beans.

Here's a close-up of Christinia's time-consuming bullet-hole stitch.

And progress on the sampler:

Pink: Elvis, what are we having for lunch today?
Elvis: Burgers!
Pink: We can't have burgers. Bunnies are vegetarians!
Elvis: Wait! I'm a bunny? I thought I was a puppy!

15 comments:

xeyedmary said...

WOW! That's smokin' along, Glenna! The colors are beautiful, too, and TOTALLY match your lunch!

Theresa said...

Your lunch looks so delicious!!!!!
I love your sampler!! The colors are just amazing!!!

Loraine said...

Yummy colors! I've never tried Ethiopian food. I don't think we have a restaurant like that in the whole state!
It looks wonderful.

Daffycat said...

The sampler looks fantastic and the colors are just wonderful!

I've never had Ethiopian food. Your lunch looks very interesting!

Elvis looks like he's finally grown out of his unfortunate buzz-cut!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I've never had Ethiopian food, although we do have Ethiopian restaurants here.

Funny bunnies! Sometimes they do act like dogs, following one around everywhere.

RG said...

Elvis would be great even if he was a cat ... well ... that might be stretching it just a bit.

What a lunch! (Is that beet juice on the lower right of Christina???)



(Made ya look, ya dirty crook, stole your mother's pocket book!)

Sorry - I'm going now ..............

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Yup, food certainly does match current sampler, very nice. I tried making Injeera about a week ago, it did not work so very well. But I had never had any and I see from your picture I was about half way there as far as texture goes.......

Siobhán said...

Christinia is SOOOOO pretty, Glenna! I love the colors in it. She's a much better lunch date than books and papers!

Your lunch looks good. Yumm yumm. I've never tried Ethiopian food, but my brother & SIL (in Falls Church) LOVE it and say it's one of their favorites.

Anonymous said...

Your lunch does match Christinia! Your sampler is beautiful. I'm enjoying your progress. I'll have to check out that cafe. My son goes to GW and I keep telling him I want to try Ethiopian food when we're down there! Nancy in NY Hedghogmom@aol.com

Unknown said...

You don't drink coffee? Really? Wow! Coffee is my best friend - especially after a late nite of stitching. Ethiopian coffee sounds wonderful and your lunch looks very yummy.

You have made great progress on Christinia - just beautiful.

I'm hoping to talk my husband into a roadtrip next weekend. I really want to visit Old Town as we have only driven thru. I want to spend a day exploring the stores and enjoying the waterfront.

Good Luck on your finals!

Brigitte said...

This sampler looks really good, but these bullet-hole stitches must be a pain, at least they would be for me, at this amount. But maybe I would love them after a while, lol.

Margaret said...

I don't drink coffee either! I thought no one else was like me! lol! I just finished reading a book set partially in Africa so it's fun to see actual Ethiopian food instead of read about it. :D Christinia looks sooooooo pretty!!

Crafty Green Poet said...

that's looking beautiful! Lovely photo of Elvis too!

Deb said...

Hi Glenna - I couldn't find your email so thought I'd leave a comment here. First off, lunch does look wonderful! And you're right about the sampler - the colors match the lunch so well! I think yours was one of the blogs that I had difficulty leaving a comment on this week.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It sounds like you and I have so many of the same tastes. I am, btw, an honorary member of the Sail Away SAL (just didn't mention it), that's why I found another nautical theme to do. A great reason to add stash, don't ya think?

And would believe that years ago I had the Wisdom Sampler (someone actually bought the kit for me) and I gave it away? What I'd do to have that now! Anyway, looks like you and I are going to be stitching a lot of the same things!

quiltcat said...

Yummm Ethiopian food! funny, we don't have any down at this end of town...although the carryout place across the street from our building has some bits of decent Korean food on their salad bar. Your meal looks delicious, and it is funny how the colors looks so much like Christinia's who/which is coming along beautifully! Sounds like Elvis was having a wee bit of an identity crisis there *g*.